When you turn on the news, what do you typically hear about? Usually wars, rumors of wars, murder, politics… all the hateful stuff, right? What if there was a root reason why bad things happen? There is. Were not talking about money today. We’re talking about something worse. Something ugly. It’s called Pride.
Don’t believe me? Let’s start with a verse and then we’ll put it in perspective.
Proverbs 13:10 KJV- ” Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised there is wisdom.”
I’ll even throw in another translation to help us understand it better.
Proverbs 13:10 MSG- ” Arrogant know-it-alls stir up discord: but wise men and women listen to each other’s counsel.”
Wouldn’t it be funny if the King James Version called someone a know-it-all? I’m not a fan of the Message Bible, but I thought that verse was pretty funny. I wonder who translated it from Hebrew to Millennial.
So our theme verse, Proverbs 13:10, basically says that pride is the source of all contention, or trouble. Every act of evil in this earth can be traced back to pride. Let’s start at the beginning of time and work our way through a couple of historic events.
1. The Fall Of Satan- Satan was God’s head angel with prestige and power given to Him by God to be over the angels. But he wasn’t satisfied. “I will be like the Most High”, he said in Isaiah 14:14 (among many other statements). Satan’s pride of wanting to be God got him kicked out with all of the angels he turned against God. So much for “like the Most High”.
2. Eve And The Apple- Satan, as the snake, tempts Eve with the forbidden fruit, telling her she could be as wise as God. Eating the fruit from the forbidden tree was an act of pride and now there is a curse on all of humanity because of it. On behalf of all women, thanks a lot, Eve. That fruit better have tasted amazing.
3. Tower of Babel- These prideful people think they don’t need God after the flood and they attempt to build a tower to the heavens for their idol worship of the sun, moon, and stars. But God shows them whose boss and confounds their languages and they all scatter like the little ants they are. Lesson here? Don’t replace God because of your pride.
4. Egyptian Slavery– Let’s skip forward several years to the time of Moses. The Israelites had been living in Egypt peacefully since the days of Joseph. But then another Pharaoh enters the scene. This new ruler notices the massive population of Israel inside of Egypt and assumes they will try to take over his throne. Pride led pharaoh to enslave all of Israel for around 400 years. Ouch! pharaoh had little pride problem… and maybe a little low self-esteem.
5. Israel vs Palestine- This is an issue that has been going on for what feels like forever. Palestine says it’s “their land” and Israel says “no it’s our land given to us by God”, it’s just a giant back and forth of pride that has killed millions of people and bothered the entire world in the process. This all stems from Abraham and Hagar having their son Ishmael. Abraham and Sarah thought they knew better than God when He promised them a son in their old age. So, Sarah gave Abraham her handmaid and they had a child out of God’s will. Later on, Sarah gave birth to her promised baby, Isaac, the true line of the Hebrews. Isaac has been fighting with Ishmael ever since. All the cousins killing each other all the way up to modern times. God gave the land to Israel, Palestine. Make like Elsa and let it go.
6. The Revolutionary War- For times sake, we are skipping way forward. Basically England had a pride problem and thought they could rule over us and keep the colonies under their thumb forever. Nope.
7.The Civil War- White people wrongfully thought they were superior to Blacks and kept them enslaved in the south. The North was against slavery, but the southern peopel’s pride sent the country to war. Hundreds of thousands of lives lost and families separated. Look me in the face and tell me that’s not a pride issue. It’s nasty!
8. The Holocaust– This one is easy to see. Hitler believed that the Jews were the scum of the earth, so he manipulated Germany into killing MILLIONS of God’s people in torturous, inhumane, and disturbing ways. A sick, selfish, hellish act of pride. Need I say more?
9. Modern Terrorism- Awful muslim hate groups like Isis and Al-Quaeda have spread terror across the entire globe. They pridefully believe their ways are superior to the values of the Western world. They’ve committed sick crimes against humanity. I need not say anymore to make my point. PRIDE. KILLS.
10. Last but not least… Liberal vs Conservative America- Ouch! Didn’t think this would hit so close to home, did ya? Our nation has a massive split right down the middle. No one can listen to anyone else. Heaven forbid a college student hear another opinion that differs from their own! They need puppies, safe spaces, and trigger warnings to keep their boats afloat. The other side couldn’t possibly be right about ANYTHING. EVER. NEVER EVER…… y’all, that is priiiiiiiiiiide! Remember our verse? “Arrogant know-it-alls stir up discord: but wise men and women listen to each others counsel”. Remember that. It’s okay to be wrong! It’s okay to show a little humility even if you know you’re right. No one is going to convert to your way of thinking if you’re a know-it-all jerk face.
I could go on and on and on and on, but ain’t nobody got time for dat.
Hopefully this post will behoove us to analyze the pride in our own lives. They say if you don’t learn from history, you are destined to repeat it. Look at all of the horrid acts of hate and murder that were listed above. Is that what you want? Be the change you want to see in the world. Let us all lose our pride and work together to make this world a better place. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble (James 4:6 KJV). If we want America to get better, America needs to turn to God and surrender our pride. If we want the world to have peace, we need to be at peace with God through Jesus Christ. That starts with you and me.
PS. This post was inspired by one of you for What You Want Wednesday! Thanks so much to the contributor who submitted a request!
Want YOUR ideas written about? Subscribe to the blog by clicking the “Follow The Adventure” button down below! Then email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request!